You don’t have to be a christian to come along to our Freshers’ week events. Everyone, of any faith or none, is welcome.
- Monday 21st – Meet-up in the JCR (Russell Square campus): 5pm onwards
Great opportunity to meet people in a chilled environment if you’re new to the CU, or to catch up with people if you’ve been along before. Come join us in the Junior Common Room anytime from 5pm, we’ll try to get a big table downstairs. Any problems finding us just give Katy a ring on 07814201768.
- Tuesday 22nd – Film Screening: 4.00pm – 7(ish!) (Russell Square campus, room 559)
Come join us to watch ‘Exodus: Gods and Kings’. We’ll have snacks, drinks and time afterwards to head to the JCR or get some dinner if anyone wants to.
- Thursday 24th – Discussion event: Social Justice and the City We Live In ~ 6.30pm – 7.30pm (Russell Square campus, room tbc) ~ Followed by JCR meet-up
This event will give us a chance to hear about and discuss some social justice issues within London, and the place of faith amongst them. Jo Hobson will be joining us to speak about her work towards social justice in East London. Jo works with Kahaila: a faith-based community hub based within a café in East London, as well as in Holloway Prison with Reflex: a national faith-based Voluntary and Community Sector Organisation that works with local organisations to empower children, young people and young adults in their area to break the cycle of offending and reoffending. After Jo’s talk and some discussion time we’ll head down to the JCR together (if you can’t make it for 6.30, please do join us at 7.30 in the JCR!)
- Saturday 26th – Freshers’ Fayre: 12pm – 5pm (Room G3, Russell Square Campus)
At our stall in G3 you can meet some of the team, have a chat over a tea or coffee, sign up for our email list and hear more about what’s coming up for us all as a CU this term.
- For the first few Sundays of term (starting with Sun 20th) we will also be available to help new students to find a church. Contact details for people at specific churches will be posted on this website and our Facebook page, and as a team we’d be happy to link people up and give any help we can so that you can check out churches in the area.
- Also be sure to check out events run by That Spiritual Place
We’re really looking forward to these and the many other events SOAS is running over Freshers’ week. Check out the official events page for the whole of SOAS here and give us a shout on here or our Facebook page if you’d like someone to go along with! If you fancy meeting with one or two of the team for a coffee any time in the week, definitely get in touch as well.
See you soon! 🙂